[bksvol-discuss] letters for numbers

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 09:38:48 -0400

I am not scanning cookbooks but have come up with the following list of common letter number misstakes.

These need to be checked carefully in case context contradicts the list below. So z usually means 2 but may not in some cases.

i = 1
z = 2
s = 5
? = 7
y = 9
o = 0
n = 11
ii = 11

As you can see sometimes 11 is ii and sometimes n.  You have to check context.

This list is possibly incomplete. It is sometimes possible to search for things which tend not to occur in prose but may represent numbers. A global search and replace is a terrible idea. But you can perhaps search for and correct things like
ioo which should be 100
ioi 101
iio 110
and so on. I just use the list above and put together combinations which might work.

Another good thing to do is run rank spelling on k1000 and look at the results combined with the info above and figure out patterns.

Hope this helps.

E.

At 09:04 AM 9/6/2004, you wrote:

While you are doing so, could you give us a list of some of the common
mistakes you are finding so that as we scan more cookbooks we might know
what those mistakes might mean? Sharon