[bksvol-discuss] Re: let's decide on the fate of this poor book

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 23:42:07 -0600

Hi Mayrie,

Thanks for the suggestions. I've used this option, but I do appreciate your thoughts on it. Unfortunately, I live in an area where the public library's collection of cassettes and CDs is slim pickings. I do have a 'walking books' person available to come here to deliver what they have, but I've pretty much read through the entire collection.

The audio books download I haven't tried because I won't put anything that has an electronic version of digital rights management on my computer. It's a personal preference thing with me. I won't even buy stuff from iTunes unless it is free of DRM. I don't copy or share anything, because I'm a firm believer in copyright protection, but I also don't want someone else's idea of how to protect their digital rights messing up my computer system. So that part is a self-imposed limitation. smile.

Judy

Mayrie ReNae wrote:
Hi Judy!

I'm sure that you have already checked out this option, being the thorough person that you seem to be, but, just in case. . . My local public library has many books on cassette and on CD on loan to absolutely everyone. Also, some libraries have two other services that might help you. Some have downloadable audio books available to everyone. And, if you are limited in your ability to travel to your public library, some libraries have programs in which they will send you books (including audio books) by mail.

I doubt that any of this is news to you, but thought I'd mention it. In case you hadn't thought of seeing if your local library offers either of the last two options.

I still love your descriptions! I'll always think of them when I see messages here from you.

Peace,
Mayrie

At 06:14 PM 12/13/2007, you wrote:
Jackie, I understand the point you were trying to make, but sighted volunteers like myself can also be print disabled. Blindness isn't the only disability that makes individuals print disabled. smile. There are a great many people, like myself, who can't read printed books for a variety of reasons other than blindness.

Sadly, individuals like myself only qualify for NLS and Bookshare and can't get books any other way. Because we aren't blind, we're shut out from the many services non-profits and other organizations have that provide books in alternative formats (cassettes, CDs, etc) that are provided free or at low cost for blind individuals.

Judy s.
cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jackie wrote:
If Bookshare staff is gonna
site copyright violation issues as a reason not to do this, then
sighted volunteers shouldn't be allowed at all since they're not print
disabled.