[bksvol-discuss] Re: kurzweil vs. finereader

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 10:07:57 -0500

I have gotten better than that.  Thanks for giving me Pam the Heads up, as I
was going to do that book too.

Try Grayscale, which is what Fine Reader by itsself always works in.  You
will see a very dramatic difference if you scan in grayscale and 300 dpi,
that particular book comes out almost perfect.  But I shall put my copy in
the pile to be sent back to the library since you are doing it.

Were you going to do Stormy Misty's foal too, if not I can scan that one
today.

The thing about Fine Reader is it, doesn't give you the choice of "static"
which is what you used on that particular page, "dynamic" and grayscale but
uses grayscale as default.

Static, depends upon all the font being the same size, same color, and same
thickness, thick works for some books but not for some with fancy fonts,
which her books have.  Then there is dynamic, which decides that there will
be variations in the size and thickness of the font.  And then there is
grayscale which decides what each individual dot on the page represents.

Try Grayscale and then make an accurate comparison.

juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.
Graduate Advisory Council
www.guidedogs.com