[bksvol-discuss] Re: just submitted 25 books

  • From: Carrie Karnos <ckarnos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2005 22:19:20 -0800 (PST)

Well, it helps having a good scanner to start with!  There's a high-speed
scanner at the office that does a very good job, which makes life easier for
the OCR program, which also does a very good job.  The end result is a very
clean scan (usually).

  Carrie

tina birenbaum <tinabir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  I didn't know bookshare uses fine reader that gives good scans! I will have
to get that whenever my scanner finally croakes for good.

wrote:
> Donna

> The reason Carrie can submit 25 books is that as, an inside volunteer,
>she
> is using an automated high speed scanner which works on the books after
> the pages have been unbound.
> This scanner costs thousands of dollars so it is not practical for home
> use nor would most of us be willing to see books destroyed in the
>process.
> Hence, while we may scan one book, Carrie can do 10 or more.
> If Benetech could afford a plethora of these scanners and had the
> volunteers to operate them, just think of the output that could be
> generated.

> put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line. To get a list

Yahoo! Shopping