[bksvol-discuss] just submitted

  • From: Denise Thompson <deniset@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 00:51:43 -0800

I've just submitted Some One Like You by Leigh Greenwood. It's a western with romance and mystery. It should be pretty ready to go with everything already done.
Denise
At 09:37 PM 12/20/2009, you wrote:
Kim, one way is:

Make the header with the story title plus the author byline that you want to keep distinctly different than the rest of the headers. Then you can safely go ahead and do a global search and replace for the rest of the headers without worrying about eliminating the ones you want to keep.

You can do that by, for example, by going to the first story header you want to keep, and putting some asterisks (or some other character) temporarily inside the words of the title and within the name of the author that you also want to keep on the page. Then, you go back after getting rid of all the rest of the headers that were originally identical to this one, you go back and remove the characters that put in.

So lets say the title of the story is Proofreaders Wear Paisley by Ida Knowbetter. On the pages where you want to keep the title and the author from getting deleted, you change the title to something like: P*roofreaders W*ear P*aisley by I*da K*nowbetter.

Then, you'd use the search and replace function in Word (or Kurzweil) to search for Proofreaders Read Paisley, leave the "replace" box empty and do a "replace all." Then do the same think with the author's name - do a search for Ida Knowbetter and leave the replace box empty and do a "replace all."

Then, go back to the places where you want to keep the title and the author name, and remove the asterisks you added into them.

Be very careful that you alter the title and author names on every page where you want them to remain, not just the page where the story starts! So if there is a Table of Contents, a list of authors, or a list of copyright holders at the start of the book, or an index at the back of the book, you want to alter those too if needed before doing your search and replace, and you then must go back and change those the title and author name in each of those places back to what it was after you finish your search and replace.

Judy s.

Hi, I'm working on a story collection as a proofreader. When I got to the
actual stories, I find the odd numbered pages have the story titles as the
header while the even numbered pages have the author's name. How can I get
rid of the excess headers while still retaining the header with the story
title plus the author byline on the first page of each story? If I can avoid
deleting all of them manually, that would save me from some repetitious
work. Please, folks, don't give me a capsule description of how to do this
because I think it's likely I might not understand what I should do. Be as
detailed as possible, filling in the who, what, when, where, why, and how
(in other words, please fill in any gap you can think of.). Your help is
needed because time's flying and I want the book to look nice. Regards, Kim.

database 4704 (20091220) __________

http://www.eset.com