[bksvol-discuss] is there a need for volunteers?

  • From: "Bob" <rwiley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 04:37:13 -0500

I've been away from my email for a couple of days and had 287 messages from
this group alone. Needless to say, this is an active and vibrant list.

Some time ago Roger asked the question are volunteers necessary (or something
like this).

My answer is a definite "yes". Whereas publishers send bookshare newer books,
and outsourcers send books that bookshare think others will read, we volunteers
send the books we would like to read, or have read.

Mayrie mentioned Caddy Woodlawn and Baby island. These two books were read to
me as a third grader, and I doubt they've lost any of their appeal.

I'm sort of going against the grain here, I'm a male while most of the active
people on this list seem to be female, I'm older than many, so my tastes may
run a bit different than others. If it were left to me, I'd scan only science
fiction and mysteries. The thing is, if I were more ambitious, I could do just
that and no one would complain.

So, we volunteers are providing books that we like, and we hope others will
like, and therefore, there will always be a need for volunteers to balance out
the collection.

Bob
"We know the future will outlast all of us, but I believe that all of us will
live on in the future we make,"
Senator Edward M. Kennedy