[bksvol-discuss] Re: inquiry to braille users

  • From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 13:24:24 -0400

Hi Nancy. Welcome to the list. It's great to meet you. (smile) You're asking
a good question, and I think you'll find that there are several ways of
doing things here. It's a matter of finding something that's right for you.

I use a Pac Mate to proofread, and it works well since it has Pocket Word on
it. I like the Pac Mate better than a Braille display because it's portable,
and I can take it into my living room and read while my daughter watches TV.
I can also proofread books from my porch swing when the weather is nice.
(smile) The Pac Mate can be used as a Braille display too, so it does double
duty that way. I like proofreading this way because I have both speech and
Braille available to me.

I use a slightly different procedure than many of our Braille users. I'm
grateful to Elizabeth and Mayrie for helping me learn to do this.  I use my
computer and Kurzweil or Word to do a spell check and to use the find
feature to hunt for scannos that crop up in scans such as the word die for
the. I'm able to do these things faster using speech. Then I save my file
and transfer it to the Pac Mate to read the book, fixing scannos I find as I
go. I get the pleasure of reading books in Braille while still accessing the
speed of my computer for doing the heavy lifting part of spellchecking.

Monica Willyard