[bksvol-discuss] Re: images scanning and recognizing

  • From: "Pratik Patel" <pratikp1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 11:23:17 -0500

There may be several reasons why you want to do this.  First and foremost
being your computer speed and memory.  The Gray Scale images could be huge
and the processing power along with the amount of ram in our system may slow
down your scanning considerably when you scan and recognize at the same
time.  If you leave the recognition to a later time, you are free to scan
without a itch and come back to the recognition portion when you know you
will not be using the computer for a while.  You are free to occupy yourself
with something else when it's busy recognizing.  For some particularly
troublesome books, I tend to take the images and save them on my external
250 GB hard drive for later recognition--perhaps 5 years down the road with
a better reco engine.

I'm sure others can point to other reasons.

Pratik

Pratik Patel
Interim Director
Office of Special Services