[bksvol-discuss] hyphens redux

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 20:49:59 -0700 (PDT)

I'm validating a book now that, although recently
re-published, was originally written in 1920 or
thereabouts.  the word "tonight," which we now arite
as one word, ws then hyphenated -- to-night."  I've
noticed when valdiating books written bh English
authors, especially in earlier decades, words that we
don't hyphenate not were hyphenated then, e.g., in a
Dorothy Sayers book I did. I forgot who was asking
before -- Sarah? Soniya?  (see, they both start with S
and I can't remember which S it was) but when the book
puts hyphens where we don't, we leave the words alone.
The problem comes when the hyphen is at the end of a
line, because normally we close up the word. When that
happens and i'm not sure what the author did, I use
Find to see if I can find the word somewhere not at
the end of a line, and then I follow what the author
did. (Is that clear or muddled? )

http://mail.yahoo.com