[bksvol-discuss] Re: hyphenated words between pages.

  • From: misha <mishatronics@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 18:26:26 -0800

I don't know about now, but in the mid to late 1970s, when computerized spelling checkers first became available to publishers of low-budget paperback books, many thought they could reduce the number of proofers because "hey, the computer can do that." But, how well we know that there are many words that by changing one letter are still valid words, so a mere spelling checker won't catch them. The example of time and rime that someone else mentioned comes to mind. Though if I didn't have the book, I'd certainly call that a scanno because the shapes of t and r are very similar. In fact, if I did have the book I'd look very closely in hopes of any evidence at all that it really wasn't an r, but a poorly inked t. So, when I scan or proof paperbacks from those years, I'm not surprised to find more typos than is typical.

Misha

On 2/16/2012 8:36 AM, Valerie Maples wrote:
I think you are right, Cindy! And it really is sad, because it reflects poorly on everyone in the process.
Valerie