[bksvol-discuss] Re: hyphenated words between pages.

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 13:15:28 -0500

Like I said, a commercial audio book is usually regarded as a different edition and editions vary from edition to edition. Otherwise there would be no point in its being another edition. Audio books for the blind like those produced by the NLS might be another matter. I am not sure. However, I have often heard an error in an NLS produced book and then the narrator inserts this note "Narrator's note: The previous sentence was read exactly as it was printed." That would imply to me that the NLS narrators are operating under the same rules as we are at Bookshare. In that case, I am not sure what an NLS produced book would count as. The mere fact that it is read aloud is a significant difference from a printed book. At the bottom of the metadata in the main NLS catalog on line there is a note telling us which edition was used for the recording, but nothing to indicate that the recording itself is copyrighted or otherwise an edition. I would suppose that it is a special case since it is not available for commercial distribution. The rules do seem to be different from the rules for a commercial production. Nevertheless, whatever it is considered to be it is clearly considered to be something separate and apart from a commercial audio book.

On 2/16/2012 12:08 PM, Valerie Maples wrote:
For what it is worth, I have heard what would have been misprints in audio books for the handicapped. However, I believe when professional audio books are produced they have direct contact with and thus permission from the publishers to repair those obvious errors. I had a cousin who was high up in publishing, who once told me something about that, but she has since passed away. Sorry I can't find out if such permission still exists.
Valerie