[bksvol-discuss] Re: hyphenated words between pages.

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 10:45:21 -0500

That is how it should be done. We have had discussions of this a number of times in the past and we have the approval of and the request of Bookshare to join broken words. The point is not to preserve exactly how the text is represented in the print version. If that were the case we would be preserving even unusual fonts and we would be preserving page headers. The point is to preserve the actual text. Besides, if you try reading a book with a screen reader it is quite disruptive to encounter broken words. As a former print reader I hardly even noticed broken words. Now that I am reading with a screen reader those broken words tend to cause me to have to pause to figure out what the word was supposed to have been.

On 2/15/2012 9:11 AM, Cindy Ray wrote:
Maybe I'm wrong about this, but when you do this, you are not accurately
representing the print. I would prefer doing that and probably would for me,
but I'm wondering if that's how it should actually be done. I would probably
leave the hyphen on the page where it appears to truly represent the print.

Cindy

On Feb 15, 2012, at 8:07 AM, Charlene Ota wrote:

I do the same. I'm surprised how often that still happens, myself.