[bksvol-discuss] Re: how do I

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 21:33:05 -0400

Hi there,

It seems to work best in Jaws when you are in forms mode. If you use the tab key, it will say edit then it will say browse if you tab a second time. You have to use the tab key, though, you can't use the arrow keys.

This is a really important issue web builders. I don't know what kind of control this is, but it's not very accessible at all. Some screen readers like SA cannot detect this control at all while WE sort of sees it, but reports it incorectly. Interestingly enough, Jaws is the only one, at least Jaws6 is the only screen reader I've found that reports and deals with this control properly.

You could put your upload files into a folder in the root directory of your hard drive something called Bookshare or Validations and just write the path and then use the tab key to complete the file name, but you shouldn't have to dance rings around a web control, especially one on a page for a library for the blind. It should just show up to all screen readers, period. It should say, edit, and then when you tab it should say browse. I don't know why it doesn't work, but it doesn't. Have the web spiders actually tested this control blind folded? Have they used a demo screen reader or multiple demos to actually experience what we are? If they haven't, they should.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring