[bksvol-discuss] Re: headers or footers

  • From: "Mayrie ReNae" <mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 13:37:27 -0700

HI Denise,

Actually, typing in the author's name won't always work.  This is because,
when the publishers create a header, there are unspecified amounts of white
space, before, after, and sometimes within the header.  Here is what I
suggest, and do regularly.

Select all of the text on the line except the page number.  If the page
number is at the left end of the line, place your cursor directly after the
page number and press shift+end. This selects the entire line, except for
the page number.  Now, press control+h to open the find and replace
dialogue.  You will see that in the "find" box is the text that you
selected.  Leave that as it is.  In the replace box type nothing. Tab to
"replace all" and press enter.  That should get rid of all instances of the
header in this format. Remember to check the box for case sensitivity.

    If the page number is at the right end of the line, place your cursor
immediately to the left of the page number.  Press shift+home.  This selects
all of the text to the left of the page number.  Now do the find and replace
process exactly as described above.  And you are good to go!

    Sometimes, as I'm sure you know, headers don't all scan perfectly.  So,
you may have to do the find and replace process more than once as you find
headers sprinkled throughout the book, but this will get rid of the majority
of headers and leave page numbers where they belong.

Good luck! And let us know how it goes, okay?  And ask again if you still
have questions.

Mayrie

  _____