  From: Carrie Karnos
  To: Bookshare Vol Group
  Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2005 4:07 PM
  Subject: [bksvol-discuss] guidelines for submission fields - first draft

  After perusing the download list, it appears that we are desperately
  in need of some guidelines about what to enter in the submission fields,
  especially the author's name.

  So, with permission from Marissa and Gustavo, here are guidelines for
entering:
  The title of the book-
    This one's pretty easy, although occasionally the title on the cover
    of the book will be different from the title inside.  Try checking the
    copyright page, to see what the official title is.

  The author of the book-
    This one is horrendously messy, so it's been divided into several
    sections.
    A) For each author's name, please
      1) put the first name first and the last name last
      Wrong: Ahl, Allison       Right: Allison Ahl
      2) drop all titles, honorifics, occupations, degrees, etc.
      Wrong: Dr. Bart Ball      Right: Bart Ball
      Wrong: Clara Crawl, MSW   Right: Clara Crawl
      Wrong: Senator Dee Dahl   Right: Dee Dahl
      Exception: if the title is part of the official name, leave it in
      Wrong: Seuss              Right: Dr. Seuss
      3) drop all commas inside a name
      Wrong: Fred Fall, Jr.     Right: Fred Fall Jr.
      4) keep periods after initials and Jr.
      Wrong: Gigi G Gall        Right: Gigi G. Gall
      5) put a space between initials
      Wrong: H.H. Hall          Right: H. H. Hall
    B) For multiple authors, please
      1) for each name, follow the guidelines above
      2) separate each name with a comma, not 'and' or '&' or '/'
      Wrong: J. James and J. Jones  Right: J. James, J. Jones
      Wrong: Kay & Ken Kent     Right: Kay Kent, Ken Kent
      Wrong: James/Jones/Kent   Right: J. James, J. Jones, Ken Kent
      3) do not use 'Va rious' or 'et al' or 'others' as an author, list all of
the authors
      Wrong: Various            Right: B. Bell, D. Dell, F. Fell, G. Gell
      Wrong: James et al.       Right: J. James, J. Jones, Ken Kent
    C) For editors, compilers, adapters, translators, etc., please
      1) spell out his/her function after each name
      Wrong: L. Lay, M. May (editors)  Right: L. Lay (editor), M. May (editor)
      Wrong: Nan Nall (Comp)    Right: Nan Nall (compiler)
      Wrong: Edited by Olive Owl Right: Olive Owl (editor)
      Wrong: Trans. Peter Paul  Right: Peter Paul (translator)
    D) If the author's name is missing, please
      1) use the editors of the company that put out the book
      Wrong: None               Right: The Editors at the Walt Disney Company

  The copyright author of the book-
    This one's also pretty easy, except for those cases where there is no
    copyright author listed.  In that case, use the author's name. Don't
    use the publisher's name, unless the company holds the copyright.

  The copyright date-
    If there are several copyright dates of the book (NOT the copyright of
    the introduction or the illustrations or the short stories), then use
    the most recent date.

  If you can think of anything else to mention, please let me know and I'll
revise the list.  Maybe we can include the guidelines in our instructions to
newbie volunteers.

  Carrie

  http://mail.yahoo.com