[bksvol-discuss] Re: guide horses

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 16:27:09 -0500

The resolution was written and passed right after Guide Horse Foundation was
founded and they had graduated their first team.  The fact was that "since
there wasn't written proof of training" that they believed there was no way
that a horse could do all the tasks of a dog.  That is one of the reasons that
Ann Edie and Alex Kurland designed and wrote the Panda Project, to prove
scientifically by using proven training methods, tested by a blind handler that
a horse could guide.

Thank goodness resolutions aren't binding right?

Shelley L. Rhodes, M.A., VRT
And Guinevere: Golden Lady Guide Dog
guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs for the Blind
Alumni Association
www.guidedogs.com

The people who burned witches at the stake never for one moment thought of
their act as violence;
 rather they thought of it as an act of divinely mandated righteousness.
 The same can be said of most of the violence we humans have ever committed.
-Gil Bailie, author and lecturer (b. 1944)