[bksvol-discuss] Re: geewiz improvements

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 08:32:00 -0500

Hi all,

All the people who have posted to this thread have been thoughtful and cogent in their posts.

My only disagreement with Monica is that when designing these options for Bookshare, might they be designed in a modular form so that those who need specific ones could install only those ones and not others? I am particularly thinking of the population of novice and low intermediate users. If the add-ons were just that, a series of modules which could be downloaded and installed at the user's discretion, that would help a great deal.

One thing I've found as a trainer is that many users become confused and frustrated when they are confronted with a toolbar or pop-up something which they aren't expecting. If the basic design of the web site could be kept as is, that would be super! You might consider putting these toolbars and so on in the downloads area so that those who need them can access them.

It is quite true that accessibility is not the same for all. Therefore, I favor a vanilla site and modular add-ons which would be designed for different segments of the population we serve.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring