[bksvol-discuss] formatting question

  • From: "Valerie Maples" <vlmaples@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 09:24:31 -0500

Good morning!

I have a question. Doug and I are working on a children's book and it relies
on some visual cues within some pages. On a couple of the pages it has the
first letter of the word of each line separated by a space from the rest of
its word so that when you look at the page vertically you see a message. In
other words, there is an intentional space so that you get a message when
you look at the word from top to bottom. Obviously a blind reader would lose
this message and I am wondering how to best handle it. My immediate thought
is to leave it intact, but after considerable thought, I am thinking about
putting a bracketed message at the top of the page and simply making the
first letter either or both bold or larger, but eliminating the space so
that it reads as a word or plays as a word when using text to speech.

Feedback will be greatly appreciated so that I can modify it appropriately
to submit to the collection.

Thanks!
Valerie