[bksvol-discuss] Re: formatting question

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 23:50:12 -0700 (PDT)

It's not there under Ellen  Hopkins, though another of her books is. I know
bookshare doesn't censor books. I can't believ e I did all that work and
didn'tupload it. I'm sure I must have. I guess I'll ask Carrie if she can find
it

list available at sites below

Books Being Scanned List:

From: Rik James <rixmix2009@xxxxxxxxx>
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thursday, September 10, 2009, 8:09 AM

Valerie & Doug,

If I understand what you said, the letter that is separated from the rest of
a word is part of a sentence. Is that correct?

If this is the case, I would remove the spaces. And put the letter with the
rest of the word.

So that it may be read and make sense.

If it is helpful, I think it is good to use brackets and use text like
"reader's note" followed by an explanatory note, followed by by another
bracketed
 "end of readers' note."   This way as a reader, you hear that
there is some explanatory text, and the readers are better informed and can
enjoy the book just like if they were looking at it.

I have heard this type of thing in recordings for years, in the NLS books
and on RFB & D books. So it seems to me that our Bookshare collection could
or should have these type of explanatory notes.  I have used them in a scan
where I think it appropriate.  But not everyone who scans will be noting all
of these details.  And when that is the case, we just have to parse as best
we can the confusing sections in text of books that are scanned for our
collection.

I hope that this is helpful.

From what you said, if I got it right, an explanatory note may not really
even be necessary.