[bksvol-discuss] Re: formats (rtf txt) and page breaks

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 20:47:54 -0700

Any file format can be missing page breaks if they are not put in for whatever
reason, or if they are inadvertently or deliberately removed.  The OCR software
has to put them in as new pages are scanned, or someone has to put them in by
hand.  However they get there, they are not likely to be lost moving from one
program to another in rtf as they are with txt format.  The problem is that txt
files can have page breaks, but they are easily lost if they are not handled
carefully.  Since it is very easy to lose them in txt files, and page breaks
are required, it is best if Bookshare stops accepting them, as they will be
soon.  That is my understanding of things.