[bksvol-discuss] Re: font size

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2008 23:45:56 -0500

Hi Amy,

I think I'm doing about what you are doing, except I use Word and not Kurzweil. smile. Since I don't have Kurzweil, I use the NFBTRANS program for back translating braille, and end up with a plain text file.

The rft files I download for validating, however, contain much more visually rich information, such as bolding and italics. Those characteristics I try to preserve to as close as I believe the original publisher created as possible. smile.

Judy s.

Amy Goldring Tajalli wrote:

 Judy,

I am not familiar with Daisy as for some reason it will not work on my computer even before my Windows went crazy. With Kurzweil, I read most of the books I download and adjust the print size and , where the font is a problem, I change it. My one problem I have not figured out how to fix is with very dark print. That is where I have to switch to a different font altogether because the font does not show as being bold but my eyes hurt after reading for a few minutes. Like you, I have sight but am visually disabled and have enough trouble getting my eyes to find a focal point so that I can read one page at a time and not two overlapping ones. I make what adjustments I can but I still think where possible it is best to know what the writer wanted us to see if there is something there to be seen If the font is irrelevant, than I don't hesitate to make it as legible as possible. That is why when I need to I switch the whole book to a New T imes R oman. It is the simplest, plain print I have found and easy on the eyes. This font, when plain and not bold, can replace the bold print even if the whole book is bold, dark print. I think the Bookshare computer or the scanner's computer does not realize that some prints are "officially" bold and need to be changed for the non-bold equivalent font.

Amy
omsm

    -------------- Original message from "Judy s."
    <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>: --------------

     > Mayrie is correct - it's been my experience that fonts end up
    being a bazillion
     > different sizes when books are scanned. As a sighted but disabled
    Bookshare
     > member, this makes books that are in the collection very
    difficult to read when
     > I unpack a Daisy file and use the html for visual reading. When I
    download a
     > book to validate - and I've validated close to 100 books now -
    almost all of the
     > .rft files have widely varying fonts throughout the scans, unless
    the individual
     > who scanned the book has checked and and standardized the fonting.
     >
     > As Mayrie said, it's not necessary for submissions to address
    this. However, it
     > literally takes only about 30 seconds using Word, and a few
    keystrokes, to
     > change an entire book to have one consistent font throughout. smile.
     >
     > As a sighted Bookshare member, I can tell you that it puts an
    additional barrier
     > into reading, and it makes books on Bookshare less accessible to
    have books with
     > wildly variable fonting.
     >
     > The best way I can describe it as a visual experience in
    equivalent listening
     > terms is that it's as if narrator varies from whispering to
    shrieking and every
     > noise level in-between, going back and forth constantly in volume
    and emphasis
     > with no rhyme or reason. smile.
     >
     > I usually download, back-translate and read braille books from
    the collection.
     > That way I get a file that I find much more readable, even though
    it loses
     > appropriate fonting and formatting that a well-done Daisy file
    preserves,
     > formatting that enhances the reading experience for the visual
    reader.

     > The Daisy conversion does preserve the fonting, by the way, in my
    experience
     > based on the books I've downloaded that are in the collection. I
    recall reading
     > somewhere that Daisy conversion has difficulties with teeny fonts
    and
     > massively huge fonts - but I can't speak to that specifically, as
    I've never