[bksvol-discuss] Re: font size

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 21:16:37 -0400

No, I do not believe that it is a common practice to change the font the OCR software determines the text to be in for people who cannot see the screen. For K1000, at least, most of the time, the font size and type is close to that of the original in the book, unless it is really odd or extremely huge or small. This is not to say that there aren't exceptions, and some small variation from one chapter heading or page number to another in my experience; but it does try to replicate the font size and type if it can.

I am not talking about any other OCR software, since some may be less reliable at doing this replication, and K1000 is not completely reliable at doing it anyhow, or some people may be using older versions of the OCR engines that are used in K1000, which would be even less reliable than the current best.

Besides, I don't think most people with little or no vision, such as myself, think about the font very much. After all, braille comes in only one font, except for jumbo braille, which is hardly ever used; and those who don't read braille are using voice, which, of course, has no font at all. And a sighted person can check the font size and type without any work at all, simply while reading along. Someone who can't see the screen has to do that using keyboard commands, or by going into a menu. So it can be quite a lot of work to check the font size and type for things that may need checking throughout an entire book.

True, K1000, and perhaps OpenBook, I forget, can tell you by changes in voice whether something is bolded or italicized. But as far as I know, there are no such settings that can tell you font size without your having to do some extra labor that a sighted person doesn't have to do.

It should be safe to let K1000 decide on the font size and type. There may be some inaccuracy, of course, it being a mindless machine after all, but I don't think it's worth fretting over, especially considering how much extra time it can take for those of us who can't see a screen.

Evan

----- Original Message ----- From: "NANCY M HILL" <girlyscream@xxxxxxxxxxx>
From: NANCY M HILL <girlyscream@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sunday, June 1, 2008, 10:36 PM
Is there a place where you can adjust font size?  Would you
adjust the font
size for any reason other to help you proof or validate the
book if you had
useable vision?

Nancy
----- Original Message ----- From: Amy Goldring Tajalli