[bksvol-discuss] follow up to last hold for message

  • From: "Scott Blanks" <scottsjb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 09:18:23 -0800

Just to be absolutely clear, the title I was referencing in my last message was Lullaby, by Chuck Palahniuk. I had placed the title on step one for Lora, and she never had an opportunity to validate, because the book was taken by someone else, as evidenced by the books in processing page. I've already sent a message to Bookshare support to apprise them of the situation. As I indicated in my message to BS staff, I strongly feel that if people are found to be repeatedly violating this hold for request, they should incur some sort of restriction, if not outright banning for a period of time from the site. This is a strong volunteer group, and two of the key elements to this strength are respect and trust. This is the fourth hold for title which has been snapped up by someone, and I frankly will no longer accept any excuse of the person not realizing that the book was a hold for. Let's be real here, I placed the two magical, or maybe not so magical words, hold for, at the beginning of the title. What must I do, write out a paragraph? Something like, this title has been placed here to be validated by so-and-so, please do not take this title out of respect for your fellow volunteers? It's not as though there are a shortage of titles without the hold for designation. 40 out of 530 meet that distinction, leaving over 90% of the books at the disposal of the general volunteer community.

This is a galling situation, and one that causes me to question my involvement in such an endeavor.

Scott