[bksvol-discuss] Re: feedback for the manual

  • From: Mayrie ReNae <mrenae@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 05:54:30 -0700

Hi Nan!

I knew that I'd forget some step or other on my list of validation tasks. I'm pasting below my original list with two steps added. These steps only apply to folks using Kurzweil 1000, which I do. If they don't apply to you, just ignore them. I promise, this is really going to be my last list. I won't belabour the point any longer. I do have some steps which I do in a particular order, but won't bother you with that. I'm not sure that the difficulties that cause me to use that particular order aren't somehow my own errors due to ignorance or inexperience. Really, really, I'm done now.

Peace,
Mayrie

Check that all copyright information is present and legible.
Check that all pages of the book are present.
Remove headers.
Protect page numbers.
Protect chapter titles.
Seek out common scanning errors and correct them.
Do some sort of spell check.
Sit back and read, fixing as you go anything wrong that any of these steps missed.
Convert the book to rtf format if it isn't already in that format.
If using Kurzweil 1000, just before zipping the book for upload, open it in word, insert a space at the beginning of the file, backspace to delete that space, then close the file.
Zip up the book for uploading to BookShare.
Enjoy yourself!!!

At 06:46 AM 8/16/2007, you wrote:
Something I would find quite hellpful is some sort of checklist for
validation.. something easy to refer to.  I am sure that would be helpful
for scanners as well.  There is nothing wrong with how this is presented in
the manual now, but offering it in an extra neat little package would be
wonderful.

Nan