[bksvol-discuss] Re: feedback for the manual

  • From: Mayrie ReNae <mrenae@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 23:15:04 -0700

Hi Nan,

I noticed your message when you posted it, and have been pondering it. When I started volunteering for BookShare, I almost made for myself the kind of check list that you are talking about. Early on, I always felt as though I had forgotten to do something. So, I'll give you a list of the things that I try to do with a book to make sure that it is in the best shape that I know how to make it. It is likely that others will either add to, or subtract from this list. I'll try to be concise, as a check list should be. If you would like more detailed instructions for any of the steps, just ask. I'm absolutely positive that folks will help you. They did me. The order in which you do things is completely up to you. This is just an idea. I hope that perhaps it will help you a little. Now, watch, I'll forget to put something on the list, just as I am always afraid that I'll leave some step undone. My list will be below.

Peace,
Mayrie

Check that all copyright information is present and legible.
Check that all pages of the book are present.
Remove headers.
Protect page numbers.
Protect chapter titles.
Seek out common scanning errors and correct them.
Do some sort of spell check.
Sit back and read, fixing as you go anything wrong that any of these steps missed.
Enjoy yourself!!!

At 06:46 AM 8/16/2007, you wrote:
Something I would find quite hellpful is some sort of checklist for
validation.. something easy to refer to.  I am sure that would be helpful
for scanners as well.  There is nothing wrong with how this is presented in
the manual now, but offering it in an extra neat little package would be
wonderful.

Nan