[bksvol-discuss] Re: feedback for the manual

  • From: Mayrie ReNae <mrenae@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 18:30:58 -0700

Hi Nan!

        Okay, here's hoping that I can be concise.  I tend to ramble.

Protecting page numbers and chapter titles means making sure that they don't get lost in the final translation, so that your book doesn't have them after all of your hard work. When the BookShare tools are doing all of the things that they do to a book, there is a pesky thing called a stripper that will take out page numbers and/or chapter titles if we don't do this little dance that will make sure that it doesn't.

So, here's how to do that. It sounds a bit complex, but just remember that most things do that we haven't done before, and then get easier with practice. If you do not put a blank line before and after a page number, it might be stripped. Please, please, don't ask me why. I still don't understand that. This is kind of like advanced algebra was for me. I can apply the formula, but am at a loss to say why it works, or why it is even necessary. But I digress. Sorry.

If your book has page numbers at the top of the page, your page should look like this to ensure that your page numbers stay in the book:
Page break
Blank line
Page number
Blank line
Text on the page,
Blank line,
And finally, the next page break.

If your book has page numbers at the bottom, the page should look like this:
Page break,
Blank line,
Text on the page,
Blank line,
Page number,
Blank line,
And finally the next page break.

To protect a chapter title, simply be sure that the page number is above the chapter title. Don't worry that the page number may also be at the bottom of that page. Just put one in at the top too so that the stripper won't take the chapter title.

Getting rid of headers can be done in several ways. First, a header in a book is the writing at the top of the page, usually the author's name, and on the facing page, the title of the book. Some times the book title is replaced with the current chapter title throughout that chapter. The way that I'm going to tell you to remove them is the most tedious way of removing headers, but it will keep you from having to read my distructions about how to do this using the find and replace dialog. On each page, select the header, and cut it with "Control X." If your page numbers are at the top of the pages, and you want to keep them, be sure not to select the page number along with the header. Removing headders this way is tedious, and requires you to look at each page separately. It can, however, help you to determine if any pages are missing. You can also put the header into the find box in the find and replace dialog, beginning after all preliminary pages, leave the replace box empty, have case sensitivity enabled, then replace all. Unfortunately, all headers are not uniform, so may not all be removed with your first insertion of a header into the dialog. You can tell if you've gotten all of the headers by making sure that the number of replacements matches the number of pages in your book.

Have I confused you utterly? I'm really sorry if I have. Please, keep asking questions. It's how we all have learned. Someone will always help you out. I will be happy toclarify anything that I have left in a muddle.

Peace,
Mayrie

 At 11:39 AM 8/20/2007, you wrote:

Thanks Mayrie.. that is just what I was looking for.  Even your list seems
to include steps I don't think I've seen mentioned before.

I could use some info on the following, as I have no idea what they mean:

Protect page numbers.
Protect chapter titles.

What does it mean to protect?

I also guess I will have to see how to remove headers.. I know how to add
them to my own materials for personal use, but not sure if it's the same
tool as I use for that.

Thanks!  More than ever I think instructions that are clear and don't assume
you know anything are called for.

Nan