[bksvol-discuss] fair quality books

  • From: Noel Romey <ner@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 00:04:36 -0500

Hey guys,
To pitch into the discussion, and also to change the subject line. To be fail to the fair quality books, some of them that I find continue to be mislabelled. Sure, it is true that havinga bad qality book is not cool, but I think that some people accidentally label a book fair if they are unsure of the processes involved in submittal of material. There books still residual in the collection that are still left from the days hwhre bugs still were present in the system. Also, the blame could rest with the validator. You have to read the book at least a little bit to determine whether or not the autmoated word counter is correct. I scanned an Irish history book once, and being that lots and lots of names and places (and Irish language words) were not in upper case, they obviously came in as a fair rating. Being that we are volunteers, the whole process is subjective, but a quick read through that book at least, would have been evident that this was the case. Make sure you don't accept the default setting tat the radio button hits IF the predicted text quality is wrong. This doesn't happen, or hasn't happened often with books I've submitted, but its happened, and I'm sure if I were to page through the collection and browse and download fair rated books, I would find other examples like this.

Luckily, we're finding more and more excellent rated books, and though I think its not a good thing to have books with missing pages and illegible passages, one has to be subjective about the process and realize that the rating could ahve been in error. Elligible books should be not even accepted if they're that bad though, definitely though.

Hope this wasn't too confusing. I probably should go to sleep before I become more incoherent :).

Ner

Noel Romey Arkansas, USA View my insights at my live journal: http://djner.livejournal.com