[bksvol-discuss] explorations in creative writing group summary

  • From: "Jackie McBride" <abletec@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 09:20:40 -0700

Greetings to all:

On Saturday, June 21, at 9 a.m. Pacific, noon Eastern, the
Explorations in Creative Writing Group met in the friends of bookshare
classroom. I wish to extend heartfelt thanks to all who came, & an
equally heartfelt invitation to those who could not come to do so next
Saturday.

As is typical of most first meetings, some logistical matters were
dispensed with & the members' opinions were sought on a variety of
issues. Next, we had a discussion about the meaning of "writing what
you know", which led to a rather interesting side conversation
regarding the ability of congenitally blind persons to write
believably about visual details, & techniques that might be employed
to that end. A piece was shared by 1 of the group members & it was
discussed in light of the lesson on "writing what you know." A
differing opinion, e.g., that perhaps writing about what one does not
know might prove more educational & interesting, was proffered by a
member, quoting author David McCullough. All in all, it was an
interesting & productive session.

If you missed the first meeting, it doesn't mean you're banned forever
lol. It's understood not everyone will be able to make every meeting.
You're more than welcome to join us again next Saturday, 9:00 a.m.
Pacific, noon Eastern, in the friends of Bookshare classroom:
http://conference321.com/masteradmin/room.asp?id=rs0f1c528bd81b

One of the things that was decided was that curriculum would be shared
once monthly & then remaining Saturdays would be devoted primarily to
sharing of writing. We also decided not to meet officially on the 4th
of July weekend, as many will be away, though I'll probably be up if
anyone wants to hang out unofficially.

I have previously offered to help test/troubleshoot those having
microphone problems, that offer still stands, & text chat
participation is always welcome.

Chris Hofstader has also offered to put up a blog on his site in order
for us to post pieces for critique outside of the writing class. He
intends to have that up shortly. We appreciate his willingness to
contribute toward our efforts in this way.

The topics for the week are:
1) One stormy night
2) Something you threw away but wish you hadn't
3) A day in the life
4) A town
5) A child
6) Flowers
7) A holiday

Or anything else that strikes your fancy!
Please keep pieces to about 5 minutes in length or approximately 1000
words. You are welcome to send your work to me at
abletec@xxxxxxxxx
prior to the meeting to be put into the browser, but try to have these
by Friday night, as stuff tends to get hectic on Saturday mornings.

An archive of the meeting will be posted on the site for your
listening pleasure as soon as:
a) I determine the procedure for getting it to Jim; &
b) He has the time to do that.

Have fun with your writing this week & hope to see you Saturday! Any
questions may be addressed to me either on the lists or privately at:
abletec@xxxxxxxxx

--
Change the world--1 deed at a time
Jackie McBride