[bksvol-discuss] Re: ellipses wasRe: proofing manual

  • From: "Sue Stevens" <siss52@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 17:17:11 -0500

Hey Mayrie,

It is not only the singlle elipsis symbol that is incorrectly translated by Bookshare's braille translator. Sorry to disagree with you, but I have seen it in books I have proofed and I always make sure there are three characters to the elipsis, and I always follow the rules.

Sue S.

-----Original Message----- From: Mayrie ReNae
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 2:07 PM
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: ellipses wasRe: proofing manual

Hi Aidee,

There are a couple of  reasons that I can think of that the ellipsis would
come out as you say. The dot 3 results, I believe, by the single-character
ellipsis being used in the book during proofreading instead of three
periods. And if the proofreader didn't put spaces on either side of an
ellipsis then they won't be there in the braille copy.

We can only blame the braille translator for not being able to translate the
single-character ellipsis. The issue of ellipsis lacking spaces around them
is a proofreading issue.

Hope that helps.

Mayrie

From: Mayrie ReNae <mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: proofing manual
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tuesday, August 14, 2012, 3:47 AM

Hi Aidee,

There will be very few changes to the content of the scanning and
proofreading manual.  Footnotes will be handled differently in
future, and the ellipsis as well (it was misrepresented in the
current manual), but there is no reason you can't use the current
manual to learn.

Happy proofreading.

Mayrie