[bksvol-discuss] Re: ellipses wasRe: proofing manual

  • From: "Sue Stevens" <siss52@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 10:12:23 -0500

Hi Tracy,

Not Mayrie, obviously, but the way you have it here is right. The fact is that Bookshare's Braille translator hasn't handled the elipsis right since a few years back when the new site went up. But you have it right, so if it turns out wrong in the translation, it is not your fault.

Hope this helps,

Sue S.

-----Original Message----- From: Tracy Carcione
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 6:42 AM
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: ellipses wasRe: proofing manual

Mayrie, you left out what to do if the elipsis comes at the end of the
sentence, and there are 4 dots.  "Well, John ...."
Is there a space after the elipsis in that case, or not?
Tracy

Hi Cindy,

Here is how to handle the ellipsis.

Formatting The Ellipsis

The ellipsis should be punctuated as if it were a word. Examples:
"Fools rush in ..."

"... for they shall inherit the earth"
 "Breathe, Mellissa. In ... and out. In ...
and out."
An ellipsis and a period.  Sometimes an ellipsis appears to be four dots
rather than three. This is because the ellipsis is either preceded or
followed by a period. Since the braille period is not the same as the dots
of an ellipsis, it must be determined which of the four dots is the
period.

If the sentence is incomplete, does not contain a subject and a verb and
express a complete thought, then the ellipsis is taking the place of
missing
words within the sentence--in which the period immediately follows the
ellipsis, just as it would a word. If a sentence is gramatically complete,
the first dot represents the period and the ellipsis represents a
following
missing sentence or sentences. In this case a blank cell (a space) is left
between the period and the following ellipsis.
Example:
As you can see, I have followed your career. ... As to my own .... Well,
you
know the story.

Mayrie

  _____

From: Mayrie ReNae <mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: proofing manual
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tuesday, August 14, 2012, 3:47 AM

Hi Aidee,

There will be very few changes to the content of the scanning and
proofreading manual.  Footnotes will be handled differently in future, and
the ellipsis as well (it was misrepresented in the current manual), but
there is no reason you can't use the current manual to learn.

Happy proofreading.

Mayrie