[bksvol-discuss] Re: ellipses

  • From: "Mayrie ReNae" <mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 21:29:36 -0800

Hi Ellen,

In order to comply with current braille code and not break conventional
rules of formatting, the ellipsis should be treated as if it were a word
itself, which means leaving a space on either side of it unless it is
preceded or followed by  punctuation, in  which case, it should not be
separated from said punctuation by a space.

Also, if you are proofreading using Microsoft Word, when you type the
ellipsis, it is converted to a single character expression rather than three
periods taking up three distinct spaces.  This single-character ellipsis is
not recognized by Bookshare's braille translator and the ellipsis need to be
converted in all cases to three periods in a row.  To do this, you'll need
to use the find and replace dialogue to replace the elipsis character with
three periods.

I need to say that there are other methods of achieving this replacement,
but I didn't understand them not being the best at comprehending some of
Word's dialogue's involving autoformatting.  So, if someone else gives you
different instructions involving the autoformat options, or using regular
expressions, they may be equally viable solutions.

To replace the single character ellipsis with three periods,  open the find
and replace dialogue by pressing control+h
In the find box, type ^0133 (That is a caret which is the number 6
capitalized, followed by the numbers 0133).
In the replace box type three periods without spaces separating them.
Tab to "replace all" and hit enter.
Word will tell you how many replacements it has made.
Be sure to save your changes.

Once you have made the replacements, you might want to check the instances
of the ellipsis followed by a punctuation mark and see whether it has
inserted spaces between the punctuation mark and the ellipsis or not.  Just
to be sure what exactly has happened in your document.

I hope this has helped and not been unclear.  If I have left anything in
question, please ask again and I'll be glad to clarify.

Happy proofreading!

Mayrie

  _____