[bksvol-discuss] Re: editing with k1000

  • From: "Jill O'Connell" <jillocon@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 19:49:31 -0800

siobhan, Welcome: I agree that it's better to write to the list so everyone can
benefit. Be sure you have read the validating manual that is on the Bookshare
web site; this is also requested by Bookshare. I use Kurzweil and find that I
work better with ranked spelling. The choices are pretty clear for the most
part, and, of course, as Nick Dotson keeps saying, it's all in the manual;
however, I don't always find it that easy to find or sometimes to understand.
Your success as a validator will depend partly on the quality of the original
scan. If the title or author's name at the top of the page hasn't been removed,
for example, it may often be unrecognizable  as Kurzweil may have trouble
understanding it due to the font used. I read the book I am validating and wish
all validators did; that way you can delete messed up headers as you go. What
ranked spelling does is lets you know in order of frequency how many words it
thinks are mis-spelled. Many of us who have been validating for some time go to
the properties section and tell Kurzweil to ignore all names beginning with a
capital since it will usually consider these names as incorrect words and they
are often the most occurring words. I am going to stop now because this is
probably enough for you right now, but, please, don't hesitate to ask your
questions. We all did it and I for one still do. Good luck! Jill