[bksvol-discuss] Re: e: Re: OT: Kurzweil and Google Books

  • From: "EVAN REESE" <mentat3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 11:46:50 -0400

When you open the optimize menu, you have two choices: Scan and Recognition. You can only choose Recognition if you are keeping images in your scans. Let's ignore that one for the moment. If you go to the Scan portion of Optimize, you will enter a dialog box that gives you a number of things to check. You can check or uncheck whichever ones you wish. Some are checked by default, others are unchecked by default. Once you've tabbed through to Okay, the optimization will begin. Make sure not to move the book until K1000 says, "Optimization complete." Then you can tab through the settings and see what has changed. Tab through to Okay again, or just hit the Enter key if you don't want to see the settings, and you'll be done.

HTH

Evan

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kelby Carlson" <kelbycarlson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "EVAN REESE" <mentat3@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date sent: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 08:59:50 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: Kurzweil and Google Books

Two things you can do: You can use the Optimization wizard in the
Scan menu
and wait for K1000 to try and get the best scan it can.  Or, you
can go
immediately for grayscale in the Scan portion of the Settings
menu.  That
will very often give you a pretty good result.  The recognition
may take
longer, substantially longer on an older system, although I don't
think
that's much of an issue these days.  But grayscale will give you
good scans
even when other settings will not.

Evan