[bksvol-discuss] e: Re: OT: Guide dogs--Standard Poodles

  • From: Pam Quinn <quinn.family@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 09:27:30 -0600

Hi Jana,

I haven't heard how they are as guides but I did hear recently that the school
in Australia that started training them no longer does.  I know they have to be
bred for several generations before they quit shedding, and like poodles, they
need to be kept trimmed.  I can tell you that a standard poodle's work is
excellent, they kind of work like shepherds minus the pull.  Since you're
thinking of a labradoodle which would have the same grooming costs anyway, you
might just want to go for a standard.  Good luck.

Pam