[bksvol-discuss] Re: e: Re: Accessing Adult-rated books; was Ann Coulter Books

  • From: Misha <mlsestak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 09:38:05 -0800

Now, there's the question I've had for a while. Some have suggested putting information about strong language, violence as well as about unusual names or foreign words that might confuse the automatic spelling checker in the long synopsis, I've been putting these in the comments section, thinking both the long synopsis and comments would be on the download page for members. Are the administrators the only ones that see the comments, or does the download page include the comments as well (since I'm not a member, I don't know).

Misha

Grandma Cindy wrote:
The submitter can put in the comments section whether
he/she considers it as deserving an Adult rating. We
validators get those comments; it's the comments
section on p. 2 that go directly to the administrator.

I know some people have posted when they've submitted
a book with sex or violence. I don't mind sex; violent
rape (as opposed to seduction) bothers me and I'd
probably avoid validating a book like that. If I
hadn't scanned The Love Slave in response to someone's
request (back when I was scanning) I'd never have
discovered Bertrice Small as an author.

G.Cindy

--- robert tweedy <roberttweedy@xxxxxxx> wrote:

We need to know what bookshare's policy is towards
adult content in reguards to parents, The tool rates
the adult content but we can over ride it so if that
is the case, we shouldn't have to rate it anyway. I
think though we should have a way to see if the
books have an adult rating before we start on the
process of cleaning them up. Some like them some
don't, maybe there could be a heading for adult or
something on the page.
Skype contact bobwichitaks phone 316-524-5454
----- Original Message ----- From: Carrie Karnos To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Sent: Saturday, December 29, 2007 12:27 AM
  Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: e: Re: Accessing
Adult-rated books; was Ann Coulter Books

  Well, I think there are other things that make
books deserve an adult content rating besides
graphic sex.  I put in a book about true-life
cannibalism that was pretty graphic, so I slapped an
adult content label on it.  Another book that didn't
have graphic sex but got an adult content rating
from me was Hustling: The Gentleman's Guide to the
Fine Art of Homosexual Prostitution.  We don't need
kiddies or teens reading either of those.  But there
certainly are a lot of books with adult content
ratings that need to be de-adulted (if you know what
I mean).

  Carrie