[bksvol-discuss] Re: double quotes appearing as single quotes

  • From: "Kellie Hartmann" <hart0421@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 19:36:59 -0500

Hi Scott,
Just to clarify, I think you're dealing with two different quote issues
here. Your current one is that British punctuation conventions dictate that
single quotes be used where Americans would use double ones. These have to
be left as they are, even though the resulting single quotes in braille can
be annoying.

The other issue is that Openbook does indeed use some other kind of quotes
which the Bookshare tool doesn't interpret properly and which cause real
messiness in the brf files. If you have smart quotes turned off in word,
which I realize you do, then you can do the find and replace safely with
Word and the results should be what you're trying to achieve.
HTH,
Kellie