[bksvol-discuss] Re: die for the and similar global errors

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 21:57:47 -0400

brodier brother
odier other
anodier another
further furdier
eidier either
and neither

Usually if you get die for die not only will you get m for th as in mat for that but you will also get
m for rn or in
so that the word "in" will be m with a space on either side and
the infamous modem for modern will appear.
If you start having m replaced with rn it leads to another whole series of words like the die for the problem. So up front checking is really a time saver.
See why it takes time?
Elizabeth

At 09:32 PM 8/13/2009, you wrote:
I know my idea of word combinations is useful for proofreaders. I mean here the with die of die in the and so forth.
The trouble is, if you have die for the you often have other errors such as
m replacing th
mat for that
and all the words with the in them such as
modier mother
fadier father
diem them
and themselves
there
their
and on and on and on. So if submitters read a few pages after scanning and then use optimize scanner settings if that is available to them or work on their settings it will be far far less work for proofreaders.
A little up front checking can literally save hours of correcting time
Remember the the for die is particularly annoying as it spawns so many errors
(think whether weather neither and so on) But lots of things can be prevented if you first scan a couple of pages and then use a spell checker or read over the scan. You can catch words run together without spaces, words with hyphens that ought not to be there, junk characters and lots of other things. If you just read a couple of pages before scanning an entire book, you too can catch patterns before they turn into nightmares.
Elizabeth

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4333 (20090813) __________

http://www.eset.com