[bksvol-discuss] Re: development and stripping was Re: Re: Stripper, get outa town!

  • From: talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 14:18:29 -0500

Hi Noel,

Peter Scialli isn't one of the software engineers, I'm not actually sure who they are though, and I suspect that Bookshare is a bit understaffed in that regard. You're right however, seemingly easy, minor changes don't get attended to very often.

Dave

At 01:50 PM 2/5/2005, you wrote:
Hi Dave and others,
It's odd. We get hundreds of books added to the system every month, but little development goes on. Bookshare is programmed in PHP from what I've heard, and if I'm correct fixing little things like rejection notification should take an hour, not a year. A database redesign to include new categories shouldn't be too hard. But these simple things and some hard things including the stripper do not get fixed. The site code seems pretty inefficient to me, and could use an overhaul. So what's the big deal if volunteers had access to the user interface part of the site, not the parts of the site that include bookshare packing etc.

My question I guess really is, what do engineers like Peter Siali (Spelling) do with their time but sys admin. Why not let other help you make the site run more quickly and cleanly, and be easier to use by users and volunteers alike. Perhaps we can help invent a more friendly stripper as well.

Just my thoughts.

Ner
and At 12:20 PM 2/5/2005, you wrote:
Hi Kellie,

That sounds like a bit of a bullsh!t line to me.
It sounds more likely that the question was what can we use as a justification to say no to more volunteer interaction so we don't have to come up with a way of determining whether the individual's skill level, and knowledge, warrant the extra effort to bring them on board. I can certainly understand why Bookshare wouldn't want volunteers running rampant across the system, and no matter how well intended, some people can mess up even a roll of toilet paper.
I've also heard the line that the source code is confidential, and they would be worried about control. I don't believe that should truly be a concern except maybe for the most paranoid. While the service provided is great, the software running behind the scenes certainly isn't earth shattering, and I can't imagine there are any uniquely sensitive corporate secrets involved.

Dave

At 11:34 AM 2/5/2005, you wrote:
Dave,
It seemed that the legal issue that prevented volunteers from being able to
do more on the site had to do with not being employees receiving
remuneration. I wondered why a certain period of free Bookshare membership
for individuals doing significant work on the site couldn't be considered
remuneration. If that were written into a contract which could be signed by
Bookshare and the volunteers in question I don't see why that couldn't work.
Kellie

Noel Romey Arkansas, USA View my insights at my live journal: http://djner.livejournal.com