[bksvol-discuss] Re: chapter headings???

  • From: Carrie Karnos <ckarnos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Gustavo Galindo <gustavo.g@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 18:28:23 -0700 (PDT)

Most of the books I've been validating lately have big numbers at the start of
each chapter.  I assume that for blind people, it's just a number on a blank
line, that you can't tell that it's meant to be huge, right?  So I've been
putting in the word CHAPTER in front of the numbers. Yes, I know we're not
supposed to add words but if I don't do that, people complain as Donna is
doing, and I think she has a valid point.  The author intends for people to
understand that it's a new chapter, so I'm helping the author out by telling
his/her readers that it's a new chapter.  I think adding the word 'chapter' at
the beginning of each chapter (if it's not already there) should be allowed and
even encouraged but Gustavo and the Bookshare people may have a different
opinion.  Gustavo, what do you think?

My 2 cents, Carrie

Donna Goodin <goodindo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi again, all,

  Well, I imagine that this has already been discussed, but I am really
wondering what has happened to the chapter titles in bookshare books.  All of
the books I have downloaded in the last several months have been without them.
Folks, I know this may seem like a petty detail, but especially for academic or
professional work, Bookshare needs to find a way to retain them, I think, even
if it means leaving those annoying page headers in. And even for fiction, I
find their absence highly annoying, I want to see what the sighted reader, who
buys the book at B&N is seeing, and if that means "chapter 1" or a chapter
name, then I want to see it too!  I'm sort of confused, because the chapter
headings used to be there.  If I've missed something in the last few months I
apologize, but I'd appreciate it if anyone could fill me in.
Thanks,
Donna from MI

http://mail.yahoo.com