[bksvol-discuss] Re: chapter headings

Jill and Jamie,

Several blank lines at the top or bottom of a page shouldn't make a
difference.   The Stripper doesn't actually even need one blank line to do
its job, but I recommend adding the blank line at the top and bottom of the
page to prevent the page number from winding up as part of the first or last
paragraph on a page in the HTML file which can be unpacked with the DAISY
book.

Sounds like the problem in this situation was the lack of page numbers and
headers.  Without anything above the chapter heading, the Stripper will get
confused and strip the heading.  Since the scan didn't contain page numbers,
then they couldn't have protected the chapter heading by being at the top of
the page, or in other words, above the chapter heading on the page.  In
instances where the page numbers are at the bottom or don't exist, you need
to place a false header above the chapter heading to prevent it from being
stripped.  I tend to use the title of the book myself, but others have said
they use the word chapter, and I've seen no evidence that it doesn't work.
Here's an example.

[Page Break]

Cotton Song

Chapter Three

first paragraph
second paragraph
.
.
.
last paragraph

[Page Break]

As I mentioned above, other volunteers have said that they use the word
chapter where I wrote the title.  BTW, what you're actually doing by placing
something above the chapter heading is giving the Stripper something to find
before it gets to the heading, which will make it happy so that it stops
trying to process a header and moves to the bottom of the page to look for a
footer.

Now as to why the Stripper removes chapter headings in the first place,
that's a good question.  I've got three theories, none of which may be
correct.  The first theory is that the Stripper's just getting confused with
the short line of text and thinking that it's a header, so it strips it.
The second is that the chapter heading only consists of a chapter number, so
the Stripper confuses it with a page number, and strips it after processing
it.  Either of these first two could be happening depending on the
situation.  The last theory is that Jim once mentioned that Bookshare
attempted to have the Stripper recognize chapter headings for the purpose of
navigating directly to them in a DAISY reader, and the Stripper is actually
recognizing them because of the word chapter and processing them like it
does page numbers.  Since Engineering chose to remove the page number from
the main text after processing it, along with any text that was found in the
header, they may have made a mistake by having the heading removed after
it's processed instead of leaving it in.  Not sure if we'll ever know the
real reason.  I can check the NCX file on a book where the chapter headings
are stripped, though, to see if the last may be happening.  I'll try to
remember to do that.

HTH

Gerald