[bksvol-discuss] Re: browsing books

  • From: "Jake Brownell" <jabrown@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 22:40:31 -0600

Hi Gerald and Donna,
I've been following the list, skimming parts as of late due to the work load this semester is putting on me.

When Tony first posted the original link, I did some expanding on it and put what I found up on the web direct at:
http://www.jbrownell.com/bkslinks.html

I tried playing with the search string to make it all books, but couldn't figure it out. I played with it for something like 20 minutes again tonight with little success. language=0 is the code for not filtering languages, but the system doesn't like it if quality=0 at the same time. quality=0 specifies that all book ratings should be included. I tried various settings throughout, like empty strings, excluding that condition, setting them to null, etc.. Then for some crazy reason I just deleted everything that came after the sort=4 attribute. Well, I'll be da**ed if it didn't work. I'll definitely be remembering this trick for future use.

So here's the link to sort all books of any language, any quality rating by most recent publication date in the BookShare system.

http://www.bookshare.org/web/BooksByAdvancedSearch.html?titlestring=&authorstring=&sort=4

You should login before using the link so that Adult Content will show up (note you'll need to have your preferences set correctly).

We currently have 24,773 books in the system! So can anyone guess where I'm going? Yep, let's definitely make that 25,000 goal by the end of the year volunteers! Let's make sure Gustavo has enough to approve by Dec 31!

Best,
Jake
PS I will eventually update the links page fear not!
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gerald Hovas" <geraldhovas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Check out his site at www.jbrownell.com

HTH

Gerald

-----Original Message----- From: bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Donna Goodin Sent: Friday, November 04, 2005 8:02 PM To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: browsing books

Hi Mike,

 That's handy. Do you know how one might set that up so as *not to
eliminate all nonEnglish books?
Thanks,
Donna