[bksvol-discuss] Re: [bookshare-discuss] was Book Quality on New Books List

  • From: popularplace@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Pavi Mehta <pavim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 15:50:04 -0700 (PDT)

I have a question two,  really.  Is there a way to see the category choices
without submitting a book or uploading one, which I'm not quite ready to do?

John's comment reminds me of the trouble I had deciding whether a book should
be considered young adult or for children. I was hoping that when the site was
updated  the categories would be refined, especially now that we have a
librarian. I haven't checked the list of categories recently. I remember that
there was one for teens and one for children, but both are very broad. I think
they should be  defined either by age or, perhaps better by grade level:  (1)
books for grades ;K-3 even one for picture books or preschool; (2) Books for
grades 4-8 or perhaps  better for grades 4-6; and then grades 6-8 and then
grades 9-12 And I think  the age limit for free access to books should be
lowered from 18 to 17. I'm sure Kelby and Courtney would agree smile.
17-year-olds in high school are now unable to download books, without special
parental permission on file ,that might be required reading, depending on
whether or not  the scanner or proof reader rates the book Adult. for example,
I Know Why the Caged  Bird Sings or books by Toni MOrrison like Beloved; as I
recall the person who scanned the latter rated Beloved Adult  and I changed the
rating.  I tend not to give books an Adult rating but to put in the long
synopsis (I'll put it in the short synopsis if here's now room) warnings if
they contain explicit sex or rape or torture or obscenity or profanity

Cindy

I've validated a number of YA books and really enjoyed them Also books that
perhaps aren't young adult but are for older children, maybe junior high or
grades 4-8? I've then taken out books from  the same author and section,
especially when what I validated was part of  series and I wanted to finish
iit--and Since the librarian knows I "work" for bookshare she doesn't look
askance. smile.

AT
www.lljfm.net/bookshare/home.htm

http://www.friendsofbookshare.org/