[bksvol-discuss] Re: [bookshare-discuss] Re: Christmas Books

  • From: "Gerald Hovas" <geraldhovas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2005 10:53:02 -0600

Grace,

Perhaps you want two categories, or possibly even three:

* a category for Christmas books
* a category for books which happen to take place at Christmas
* a category where you are unable to determine which of the first two the
book belongs

If Jake has the capability to delete a book from a category, then maybe you
want to handle it this way and use the third category.

It's easiest to just lump them all together and not worry about it, though.

This issue is actually similar to something I brought up with my wife.  Is
"It's a Wonderful Life" really a Christmas movie?  She associates it with
Christmas because it's on TV almost every year around Christmas time.  My
question to her is "why is it a Christmas movie since it only contains
around ten to fifteen minutes at most which occur around Christmas while the
rest of the movie takes place at other times during the year?"  She still
insists that it is a Christmas movie because it has Christmas in it.  I
still happen to think people wouldn't associate it at Christmas at all if it
weren't for the final scene which occurs at Christmas time since that scene
leaves them thinking of Christmas when the movie is over.

My point is that if you try to break them down into two categories or leave
some books out of a single category like a mystery/thriller series which
happens to include a book or two that take place entirely around Christmas,
then someone else will have a different opinion and wonder about the
decision to do it this way.  There's really noe correct way, so do it
however you like.

Gerald