[bksvol-discuss] Re: bookshare seems to be interested in quantity

Another thought is garbage in garbage out.

Folks are rightly offended at paying for bookshar subscriptions and then, if particularly unlucky, downloading a book rated excellent which turns out not to be so.

Apparently particular upset is reserved for 1 instead of I resulting in "1 have" etc. and people particularly hate reading for pleasure when the book is of poor quality in some way. I think folks may be willing to slog through more muck if they have to read a textbook. An example might be my being willing to listen to somebody read a textbook badly but not put up with it if reading a novel for my own amusement.

What you say, she is sometimes doing things for amusement?

E.

I believe that you are correct.  And perhaps it is the proper strategy at
this point, though I'm not certain of it.  One thought process might be that
it's important in the first few years of Bookshare's life to build numbers,
to show that the collection can grow when driven by the needs and wants of
the blind membership.

On the other hand, many people, myself included, won't touch a fair book,
and would argue that they don't really count as a part of  the collection as
they are of such inferior quality.

Why do I envision myself like Tevia ... He's right ... No, he's right.

Ah, just rambling.

Lora


-----Original Message----- From: bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of E. Sent: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 5:32 AM To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [bksvol-discuss] bookshare seems to be interested in quantity

I suspect that bookshare still wants to give most of the monetary reward to
the person submitting the book rather than the person validating it and so
is not likely to make the difference more "equitable" as you want.  I base
this suspicion on the fact that bookshare still permits submits of poor
quality books rather than raising the bar, thereby making less work for
validators and improving the quality of bookshare's collection.  Bookshare
for now seems to want to keep the bar low and strive for quantity.

E.
At 07:15 AM 9/26/2006, you wrote:

>Hi Monica,
>
>I do understand that some people validate for credits, and there's
>nothing at all wrong with that.  On the other hand, many of the people
>on this list, yourself included, strike me as dedicated, and willing to
>do a good job for Bookshare at the same time.  Originally, Evan I think
>it was, said that by offering more money, people would just rush
>through their validations to get the credits.  Although this may be
>true for some, I still find it hard to believe that most volunteers
>would do that.  Didn't someone say that only seven people paid for their
memberships through their volunteer efforts?
>
>On the other hand, I'd rather see the pay scale changed entirely.
>Perhaps
>$2 for submissions, and $1 for validation, would balance the scales
>more equably.
>
>This would balance so that 25 submissions, or 50 validations, would pay
>for a renewal of membership.
>
>And if offering more for validations would cause people to race through
>a validation, offering less would seem to encourage people to race even
>faster.  After all, if I'll only make fifty cents per validation, that
>means I'll have to validate 100 books to get through the renewal
>process.  Better validate real fast!
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>[mailto:bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Monica
>Willyard
>Sent: Monday, September 25, 2006 10:50 PM
>To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: a sort of raise for validators
>
>Hi, Cindy.  I have a scanner and use Openbook to scan.  What I was
>trying to say is that without credits, I wouldn't do much on the
>validating side of things.  As it is, I do validation both for the
>credit and because we have a pretty hefty step 1 page right now.  Lora
>was talking about not validating for credits, and that is what I was
>responding to.  (smile)
>
>Monica Willyard
>
>On Monday 9/25/2006 11:34 PM, you wrote:
> >Monica,
> >
> >One gets so much more monetary credit for scanning, and all you'd
> >really have to do after a scan is to check the copyright page and put
> >the right info in the submission form; go through the book and be
> >sure no pages have been omitted (we've all done that, and
> >double-scanned a page, too); and delete junk characters; and run a
> >spell-check. So you validate because you don't have a scanner? I
> >think some can be had relatively inexpensively and it might pay you n the
long run.
> >
> >I don't blame you at all for validating for the credits. I probably
> >would work for the credits, too. I admit that in my lifetime I have
> >volunteered my time and efforts rather than donated money, not only
> >because I feel I'm being useful but because I don't have that much
> >money to donate. smile
> >
> >Cindy
>
>  To unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email to
>bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line.  To get a
>list of available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the subject
line.
>
>  To unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email to
>bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line.  To get a
>list of available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the subject
line.

 To unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email to
bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line.  To get a list of
available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the subject line.

To unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email to
bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line. To get a list of available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the subject line.

To unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email to bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line. To get a list of available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the subject line.

Other related posts: