[bksvol-discuss] Re: books with less than excellent ratings

If Bookshare ever decides to delete the Fair books, then it should stop
accepting them.  Otherwise, what's the point?  There will be a lot fewer of
them, but people who crank out poor-quality scans to get credit will continue
to do so.  So the Fair category will grow again.

Also, I agree with Sue.  People who choose to download a Fair book know-or
should know-that they are getting a book that may be problematic.  For people
wanting to read one of these, a Fair book is certainly better than no book at
all.  Sure, they can request it, and maybe someone will do it for them, maybe
not.  Also, most of the complaints I have heard about quality are about Good or
even Excellent books.  I have downloaded a couple of books rated Good which are
Fair at best.  I just finished a rescan and read-through of one of them.  Truth
to tell, it was actually terrible.

One thing that may improve the quality of Bookshare, rather than deleting
books, it is to tighten the standards for Good and Excellent.  I recognize that
there is a certain measure of judgment here, but it would still help if the
cutoff points that the automated system uses to determine what category a
particular book should be in were ratcheted up a bit.  BTW, what are these
cutoffs currently?  Once these percentages were adjusted, then Bookshare could
stop accepting Fair books.  Then, perhaps we can talk about culling them.

It may also be helpful, and more honest, to change the description of Fair from
'many errors but legible through', to something more like 'many errors, may be
illegible in parts', which would me more accurate.