[bksvol-discuss] Re: books I validated today

  • From: Elizabeth and Burton <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 16:07:03 -0500

You can however always do a find and then a careful replace of common scanos such as 1 for I, rn for m resulting in nonwords such as cornmon wornen and wornan for women and woman and such. I do agree with your points by the way. I just think submitters can fix things up more than many do particularly by scanning a few pages and then reading the results before scanning a whole book where I will then have to correct errors. This way, errors can be caught on just a few pages instead of re-occurring throught a whole book.

E.
At 05:42 PM 11/1/2006, you wrote:
Robert, I agree with you to an extent. I would like to point out two small reservations I have. My agreement with you is strong, and my observations are made here because I don't think this is a black and white issue. The first is that though submitters get more credit, we generally spend more physical money on things such as books to scan, paying for transportation to get books from libraries, buying a scanner, and paying for OCR technology. This is a generalization because I know that some validaters buy books and mail them to someone for scanning. I think that may be part of why submitters earn more credit for their work though. The other reservation I have is that since technology isn't uniform among submitters, your best scan and my best scan may be very different. Not only that, but my perception of what a good scan looks like may be different than yours which compounds the situation. Since I don't have rank spelling, I have no reliable and objective way to assess my books' ratings when I submit. I can use Word to check spelling, and that helps a lot. Without reliable feedback from software, it is difficult to kguage over all progress. I also don't have the ability to re-recognize pages as k1000 users do, nor do I have feedback on confidence rating as I scan. It boils down to my subjective opinion, and when human opinions are involved, there is seldom complete agreement. I submitted Living On The Border Of Disorder, a book I scanned over a year ago before I joined Bookshare. I no longer have the print copy of the book, but the scan seemed quite readable to me. However, in retrospect, a Braille user will probably have fits with it because Openbook put a bunch of random line breaks throughout the book. With speech, I don't hear that. I didn't even realize it would be an issue till someone mentioned it about another book last week. Never having used a Braille Note or other gadgets like it, I have started trying to imagine what Braille users might see. It didn't occur to me that it would be different from what I hear with speech until recently. If it didn't register with me, I would guess that it hasn't with other speech users as well. Anyhow, that's just what I'm thinking. Maybe everyone knows and I was just clueless. (smile)

Monica Willyard

On Wednesday 11/1/2006 11:23 AM, you wrote:
I think submitters should clean up as mucjh as they can. After as stated, the submitter gets most of the credit and it should be up to the submitter to try to get the best scan possible.
For skype contact bobwichitaks