[bksvol-discuss] Re: book request

  • From: Valerie Maples <vlmaples@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 16:27:56 -0800 (PST)

Hi, Kelly!

Just to clarify; Nichole wanted to use her graduation money to go to ALA to
meet
an Ohio Librarian friend who arranged an invite to the Schneider Family award
luncheon, celebrating children's authors who write for or about kids with
disabilities.  Said librarian friend, a past chair of the Schneider Family
award committee also wangled a floor pass for Nichole and I.  When we realized
the potential, we emailed Scott, who after discussing it with Robin Seaman,
Publisher Liaison, told us to collect cards and simply make an introduction.
 Some people were more comfortable donating books (giveaways at ALA are of epic
proportions) that we could scan as volunteers, and so we accepted donations we
would add personally.  We also thanked the publishers already in partnership
with Bookshare and showed them how their books made a difference.

A cool side note on this. Nichole met an author, Myron Uhlberg, who was
instantly attracted to Nichole.  We were buying a copy of his most recent book,
"A Hurricane Named Katrina" as well as one of his older titles that Nichole
wanted for a friend.  When we got to Myron for an autograph,
he spoke to Nichole and told her he wanted her feedback.  She asked to have a
picture made with him  and he was tickled.  When I asked if he wanted a copy,
he
gave us his email and that night when we sent it, he emailed back immediately
with his personal contact information.  He keeps in contact with Nichole, even
called her on Christmas Day (best Christmas present ever!), and hopes to write
children's book with her one day.  We are so excited that he and so many others
saw Nichole's passion for accessible reading.
 Valerie

Keep up with Nichole's recovery: