[bksvol-discuss] Re: block quotes

  • From: Carrie Karnos <ckarnos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 21:48:35 -0700 (PDT)

My opinion is that altering the formatting of a book (but not the words!) is
permitted in order to make the book clearer for blind people.  In Devorah's
example, I can see that the margins are different, which alerts me that it's a
quote and not normal text, but blind people can't see that the margins have
changed.  So if you want to adopt something to indicate that the next section
is not normal text, please feel free. I don't think that there's a standard set
up for such things. I usually put angle brackets (<, >) around captions.  Other
people use different methods, like a blank line, or a row of stars, or quote
marks, or whatever.  As long as you're consistent in your usage of your
indicator, great.  And it would be very helpful if the author wasn't already
using your indicator as part of the text.  Picking a different indicator would
be preferable then.

HTH, Carrie