[bksvol-discuss] Re: block quotes

  • From: Mayrie ReNae <mrenae@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 18:37:20 -0700

Hi Devorah,

Since the quotes are designated by indentations, and the bookshare files don't keep those, I think I'd maybe put quotation marks around the quote. But this might be considered altering the text. Perhaps Jake, or Carrie, or Pratik, or somebody with some authority could state pollicy, or an opinion?

Also, maybe a notation in brackets like those we put around notes about the existence of pictures could be used? Just ideas.

Peace,
Mayrie

At 06:08 PM 4/11/2008, you wrote:
Thanks for the clarification about italics. I will absolutely keep them in. May I ask another question? This is a lovely book I?m validating. It has many long quotes from the Qur?an. In print books, long quotes are set apart by having the entire quote indented, having bigger margins both on the left and on the right sides of the page. They are also often in a smaller font size. The scanner did not indent the long quotes in this book, and anyway, Bookshare removes indentations I understand. How would it be helpful to indicate that these are direct words from the Qur?an and not from the author. The language style is different, is that enough for a reader to get that it?s a quote? Here?s an example from the book. The sentence that begins Recite to them? and ends with the verse numbers is an indented quote. All the indented quotes do end in verse numbers, but there are also verse numbers strewn throughout the text. Thanks for any guidance.

genuine repentance (tauba) can turn an apparently wholly evil man into a paragon of virtue; on the other hand, although this is much more rare, an apparent paragon of virtue (even a prophet!) can turn into a near devil enmeshed in carnal pleasures:

Recite to them [O Muhammad!] the news of him whom We had given our signs, but he abandoned them and the devil pursued him so that he became one of the deviants; if We had willed, We would have exalted him through those signs, but he gravitated down to the earth and followed his own desires. (7:175-76)

To hold that the Qur'an believes in an absolute determinism of human behavior, denying free choice on man's part, is not only to deny almost the entire content of the Qur'an, but to undercut its very basis: the Qur'an by its own claim is an invitation to man to come to the right path (hudan li'l-nas).