  From: Valerie Maples
  To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ; Nan Hawthorne
  Cc: Robin Seaman
  Sent: Friday, January 15, 2010 7:17 PM
  Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: bksvol-discuss Digest V7 #20

  Hi, Nan!

  BookShare is an online library for people with print disabilities.  Students
of all ages can receive an annual free membership with certification by a
qualifying individual and student status.

  Volunteers earn credits for scanning or proofreading books.  Often volunteers
like myself and my husband, among  many others, will sponsor individuals who
cannot afford membership by donating credits to needy individuals.  We all want
people to have the means to read books.

  I hope anyone will correct me if I have mis-spoken on any of these points.

  Valerie

  On Jan 15, 2010, at 2:26 PM, Nan Hawthorne wrote:

    Can someone clear up a puzzle for me?

    I keep hearing BookShare described as being a free library for people who
are print impaired. Is it free?  I had to pay.  I feel weird telling people one
thing, then hearing another.  No disrespect, I just want to clarify.

    AccessibleWorld.org book discussions have no cast in bronze policy about
this, but one thing I have been told is that "many people can't afford to join
BookShare" and this has limited what books I can schedule.. I am too find other
ways for people to access the books.  Since BookShare is one of the only places
producing accessible versions of independently published books.. and I say
bravo for that!  I am hard pressed to find a solution.

    By the way, I am delirious about the news that Smashwords and BookShare
will partner!! These days I read more books not on NLS than on.